Lead DevOps Engineer
Date Published: 13:09:2022
- Remote + monthly meetings at the Cheltenham HQ
- Flexi Time — 37.5hrs p/w
- Reports To
What you’ll do
You’ll be working in our agile team to migrate and manage our existing cloud-based infrastructure to a container based solution using the latest tools and technologies and maintaining the highest standards of reliability and scalability.
You’ll also be working to develop our continuous delivery pipelines and work with our developers to make our workflows more efficient.
As our company grows, you’ll help to scale the technology and grow a solid DevOps team to support our ambitious plans.
Who you are
- 2-3 years of experience in a senior DevOps role
- A successful track record within DevOps, Infrastructure engineering and transformation roles
- Hands-on experience with Public Cloud platforms such as AWS, GCP and/or Microsoft Azure
- Strong systems engineering and architecture skills in multi-account, multi-environment platforms
- Experience with infrastructure provisioning with tools like Terraform or Pulumi
- Extensive hands-on experience with Linux/UNIX based environments
- Experience with container orchestrators like ECS, Kubernetes or Mesos
- Knowledge of yaml based CI/CD solutions like Github Actions, Gitlab CI, CircleCI, ArgoCD or FluxCD
- Excellent knowledge of datastores such as MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch
- Experience with queueing technologies such as SQS, RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Knowledge of performance optimisation techniques i.e. caching using tools (CloudFront or Varnish)
- Experience with scripting languages, especially Bash and Python
- Knowledge of security best practices & DevSecOps including secrets management tooling like Vault
- Experience with monitoring and observability utilising tools such as Grafana, Prometheus, Thanos
- Used to creating cost-effective solutions given the requirements
- Problem solving, root cause analysis and debugging skills.
- A motivated self-starter, able to work with little guidance
- A demonstrated history of thinking strategically and seeing projects through to successful completion
- A strong advocate of DevOps culture and an understanding of its role of in the organisation as a whole
What we’d like to see
- An eagerness to excel. A conscientious worker who takes pride in their work.
- The confidence to present improvements to process, tooling and techniques for better quality and productivity.
- Calm under pressure, and embraces a challenge with a willingness to find creative solutions.
- Keen to collaborate. Working with developers and other stakeholders to understand their needs.
- Mentoring experience to ensure Junior Engineers excel in their personal and professional development.
- Appreciation for Cloud Native technologies with the ability to make decisions on build versus buy.
- Keeping an eye on new technologies, sharing your knowledge with the team and running workshops to expose others to promote continuous learning and DevOps as a culture.
- Mindful of the impact changes might have on developers and users of the systems you are building for.
- Willing to react out of hours to fix issues if they occur and to automate as many processes as possible.
- Previous web development experience will be a big plus.
How we work
We use Atlassian products (Bitbucket, JIRA, Confluence) for management of features added to our product platforms. Our Developers work in 2 weeks sprints, the DevOps Engineers work in Kanban.
You will work on hosting platforms that are used by the Agency (web sites) and Tech (web applications) Divisions of the company, but will be a part of the Technology Division, working closely with the Product Director. Dailies and progressing work in progress may be completed remotely (working from home) as agreed with the Product Director of the Technical Division, but periodically you may be required to come to the Cheltenham office for face-to-face meetings, planning/workshops or team building. However, this will largely be a remote working role.
What You'll Get
Success is a mutual game, which is why we invest heavily in our team. We believe in true partnerships that reward equally, so in return for your skills & expertise, we offer a suite of perks to complement a benchmarked salary, including flexible working, personal development initiatives and much more…
- Money. [DOE]
- Personal development plan.
- Hybrid working & flexible hours
- 23 days holiday per year, + bank holidays and your birthday off too.
- 2 duvet days per year.
- Pension plan.
- Xmas and summer parties.
- Lunch & Learn sessions + industry training resources.
- Amazing clients to work with.
- Wellbeing initiatives, client & Perkbox discounts
- A team that works hard, has fun and loves a challenge.
- And a pub over the road!